"I will not leave you as orphans - I will come to you." John 14:18

Thursday, December 24, 2009

What are you waiting for?

I want you to know I am no saint. I want you to know that I am no angel. I want you to know I am just like you. People around me have started to ask questions about my adoption journey and when I speak of it they respond with "You're amazing", or "Wow, I could never do that", or "That's incredible". . . There are a whole host of other things that people say as well. I promise you. . . I have been given no more determination that you. I have been given no more grace than you. I have been given no more patience than you. I have been given no bigger heart than you. God has simply given me direction. I have been seeking direction and asking for it for a long time. Why I didn't listen to what God's been saying to me for a long time is beyond me. The only thing I can come up with is that I have been waiting for the "perfect" time. When I have enough money. . . When I'm out of debt. . . When I'm not living paycheck to paycheck. . . When I lose 150 pounds. . . When I'm married. . . And I've literally wasted my life away.

I'm tired of waiting. I won't do it anymore. I have to grab the bull by the horns and take the monster on. I'll never have enough money. I'll never be out of debt. It's unlikely that I'll quit living paycheck to paycheck. A 150 pound weight-loss is in my future, but probably down the road a year or two. Married? I won't even begin to tackle that beast.

The point to my ramblings is a goal. I've set goals. Yes, they are fairly lofty goals. . . but the point is, I've set them. I'm working towards my goals. I'm not going to hit New Years this year and look back and question what I've done to better myself and those around me. This year is the first year in a LONG time that I actually have something I am REALLY going to work for and something I feel I have really achieved this year.

What is your goal this year? A closer walk with the Savior? Get in the WORD! Start one verse at a time. Weight loss? Hit it one pound at a time. Walk away from the cookies one at a time. A new job? Put yourself out there. Knock on doors until your knuckles are calloused and cracked. To increase your family? Check with your local DCS to find out when you can enroll for the new foster parenting classes. There are SO many children that need homes. They need a Godly mother and Godly father to lead them. Can't risk giving your heart to someone who may be removed from you? Be a Big Brother or Big Sister. Contact your local elementary school and volunteer. Get with the local children's ministry in your area to volunteer. give. Give. GIVE!!

One step at a time. One pound at a time. One minute at a time. One knock at a time. Don't be discouraged. Two steps forward, one step back. . . we all do it! I look forward to my journey this year whether it be by myself, or with a gaggle of friends and family to join me.

My wish for you this year is this. . .
"That you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, to lead a live worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to Him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God" (Col. 1:9-10)

. . . and again, I ask. . . WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

2 comments:

Amy said...

Great thoughts, Beth. :) I too am going to make some new goals for the new year, and I'm glad someone else out there is striving towards their own as well! Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy (and successful!) New Year. :)

nbta said...

So good to reconnect! I'm glad you are blogging and writing out your heart...It is a process that I think we all need to do at times.

We'll be praying for you as the Lord leads you to your child!