"I will not leave you as orphans - I will come to you." John 14:18

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Knees, Roommates, and WHAT???!!!

It's been a whirlwind of activity here in my world in the last few weeks. I have been having knee problems (again) the last few months and have been consulting with my orthopedic surgeon to try to get them fixed. After steroid injections, physical therapy, and a round of orthovisc injections (the fat from the rooster comb), it was evident that surgery was going to be my only option. My doctor couldn't see anything on the MRI due to the large amount of scar tissue present, so exploratory orthoscopic surgery was scheduled. This surgery was to take place on a Friday so that I could go back to school on Tuesday without any complications, but it wasn't to be. Instead of walking to the car after my surgery (which is what happened last time I had knee surgery), I received a walker and strict instructions to be completely non-weight bearing for 4-6 weeks. Gulp. Did you hear that? Four to six weeks on crutches, a walker, and a wheelchair. Initially she also told me to be off of work 3-4 weeks. Yeah right. Like I have that kind of time. Now, mind you, this is knee surgery number 5 for me. . . 4 on my right knee, one on my left. I am no surgery infant. I know what to expect. I know when I can push it. I have learned, through this surgery, when not to push it. I took off an additional 3 days (thanks to President's Day and a snow day) and returned to school this last Monday in a wheelchair that a friend let me borrow. That wheelchair has saved me. Literally. March 18 is the big day. Not only is it the day after my birthday, but the day I can start to walk on it again! This week has been a slow downward spiral for me culminating in today's break down. I am completely exhausted physically and emotionally.

My best friend, S, and her boys, T and R, moved in this last weekend. While it is not a permanent move for them, it is an adjustment for them as they've had some pretty major changes in their lives in the last 6 months. So, I've gone from living by myself to living with 3 other people, 2 of which are teenagers. I absolutely love having them here, and it has been such an incredible blessing to have them here.

And of course, in the midst of all this craziness, DCS calls. They have decided that they want to move forward with my home study. WHAT?!?! You mean, I'm not a lost cause because I don't feel called to parent a teenager right now? I guess not. So, now the panic starts. My case worker will be here next Thursday to complete the second part to my home study, my first actual home visit. So you can just imagine the mad dash for the bottle of Fantastik! Oh my gosh! Throw me that Magic Eraser! Could you please fill up the bucket with Pine Sol? Quick! Install the carbon monoxide detectors! Lock up the medications!! Oh yeah. . . Did anybody remember that I CAN'T WALK!!!??? I can't even carry a glass of water down the hallway! How in the world am I gonna clean this house spotless!? I know, I know. Everyone I've talked to about home studies say that they're not looking at the cleanliness of your house. But, by a show of hands, how many of you would feel comfortable with a stranger walking into your house to evaluate it with dirty dishes in the sink, stains on the floor, and dog hair all over the place? Go on. Anybody? See. No hands. Yeah, me neither.

So, this week, I hobble around on crutches around the house. Truth be told, when no one's looking, I dance from one wall to another just so I can walk around without those stupid wooden appendages. And no. I don't want any help. Don't you dare offer to come over and help me. I don't want anyone else cleaning up my mess. I won't allow it. I'd be horrified.

Oh yeah, and on top of all of it. . . my right pointer finger is infected. No idea how that happened, but the antibiotics I'm on hopefully will clear it up. Currently, it's the size of a Bob Evans sausage. When it rains, it pours.

3 comments:

Holly said...

Poor Beth!! I totally understand about the homestudy!!! Why won't you let someone help you??? (I know. I am not the cleanest person either, and I wouldn't want anyone cleaning for me, but this is a special circumstance!) Maybe you could reconsider?? Anyway, if that's just an absolute no, I will definitely pray for you that you will be able to do it, and that you will have no more break downs. Hang in there, friend!!

love,
Holly

nbta said...

Sounds like you're having a lot of fun!

You've really gone through it and I do hope it gets better quickly! Hang in there and make sure you clean the corners of the rooms!

The Scott Family said...

I know what you mean. i have the hardest time accepting help BUT I have learned that sometimes when we refuse that help we are keeping the person giving from receiving their blessing in return by wanting to bless us. I also understand about the home study. You should've seen our house the day the social worker came. It was so spotless that you would have thought Mr. Clean himself had made a visit in person! The funny thing is she didn't even walk throughout the house. She walked straight into our dining area, sat, went over paperwork, talked a little and left! Don't sweat it. You will make a great mom and they will surely know that by just meeting you! Praying for you and if there is anything else I can do and that you would allow me to do for you, please let me know. :-)