"I will not leave you as orphans - I will come to you." John 14:18

Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving. . .

As I have enjoyed being with my family the last few days, it's given me a lot of time to process the changes that are going on in my heart and in my life. What a blessing it is to be able to share with people about the gift that God has given me. . . the gift of His knowledge and direction. I was very blessed to be able to share my story and my plans with my distant cousin, and even more thrilled when I saw and heard how supportive she was. I have found most, if not all, of the people in my life to be extremely supportive.

I have had quite a few dead end contacts the last 2 weeks which is why I haven't posted anything. I was able to make a contact with a foster agency that only works with children ages 11-17. Thankfully, the woman sent me some information in the mail and left me with a promise that she would pass my information on to the proper people. I recieved the paperwork she promised and was able to muddle through very little of it without explanation. So, I did the best I could to hit the internet and friends again and find another "in". My friend encouraged me not to give up. She's been through the system and has mentioned several times how slow they are in getting back to people. The crazy thing is that I can't imagine children sitting around waiting for homes yet the Department of Children's Services are dragging their feet in screening homes and placing children with people who are desperate to have them!!

I also got on adoptuskids.org which features children in the United States that need homes. Many of them have special needs - physical, mental, and/or developmental disabilities. I found an email address there where I could put in for some more information.

I have called and left a message for the folks at DCS to call me back regarding starting my PATH training in January. Many friends have asked about my timeline. . . I'm looking at starting the training in January, which will last about 3 months. After that, I will begin my home study and application process which will take 3-6 months. At the conclusion of that process, I will (hopefully) be accepted as a foster parent and can become a caregiver immediately. Can you believe that it's possible that NEXT Thanksgiving I could spend the day with my child? Can you believe that NEXT Christmas, my little one may be making his or her Christmas list for Santa? Can you believe that NEXT year, I may become a mom? What a thrill! How frightening!! Seriously! Am I ready for this? I'm sure I'm not, but am completely confident that God wants to use me in the life of a very special child. I can hardly wait to see who He has picked out for me!

Friends, I do hope that your Thanksgiving was as special as mine - with friends and family. May God continue to bless you as we head into the season of the Celebration of His Birth!

1 comment:

Holly said...

Beth! I just went through and read all of your blog posts. I am so excited for you! I know God is going to turn this whole thing into something wonderful!! I will be praying for you that He lets you know exactly what to do along the way. He will make sure you get the right little girl. :) Don't worry about that. I can't wait to keep following your journey. Thank you for sharing it with us!

love and prayers,
Holly