"I will not leave you as orphans - I will come to you." John 14:18

Friday, January 14, 2011

. . . . silence. . . .

It seems lately like that's what I hear when I begin to think about what's next for me. Utter silence. A void between my ears that is deafening. A lack of words. Yet, unimaginable sadness will envelope me.

I realize it's been 8 months since I've even given any of my "followers" a look into my life via this blog. For this, I am sorry. To say that I've had nothing to say would be an understatement. Not only has the process of adoption in my life come to a standstill, I don't even see any light at the end of the tunnel. Has God changed my heart about the issue of adoption? An emphatic "NO!" is my answer. I still feel very close to the issue of adoption. Is my health keeping me back? "NO!" I'm working through my issue with the knee, although it will be a lifetime of pain and slow healing. Is it finances? "Um. . .maybe a little". But my God is bigger than my checkbook, savings account, and Roth IRA. (Which is a really good thing, because it is always pretty small!!) So what is it, you ask? Space. Just flat out space. I wouldn't change my current situation for anything. My best friend and her boys living with me has been a blessing for all of us. I'd be a liar if I said that it didn't make me think twice about being a mother. But I'd also be a liar if I said it didn't make me more interested in trying it for myself. When I called my social worker back in May to inquire about beginning the process for a homestudy, she recommended that I wait until I can "prove" that I have the space for a child. So, my next thought was, "Well, I'll just go and buy a bigger house." Yeah, right. Like that's possible right now.

To be brutally honest, I was fairly certain that I had met that certain someone that I would share my life with a few months back. His passion for God's word and gentle kindness for me was incredible. I was falling hard. I was falling fast. Those close to me in my life saw things unfolding for me, and we were all a little surprised. I couldn't help but think that God had not put my adoption plans into motion because He had these "other" plans for me. But when everything panned out, I knew that, as amazing as this man was (and is) God was not calling me to be his wife. I was devastated for both of us. I didn't understand. I was sad. I was angry. After dreaming of the perfect scenario for years and years, my perfect scenario was slipping away from me. And what was worse was it was MY fault. I gained quite a bit of weight. I felt sorry for myself. I snapped at those around me. I wanted to be alone. I'd sit at my desk during my planning periods and stare at the wall. Literally.

Flash forward 4 months - 4 LONG months - and find that I have pulled myself up by my bootstraps and moved on. I thank God for the influence that this man has on my life and for the very special friendship we share. But where do I go from here? There it is again. . . silence. . .

. . . and still more silence. . .

I'm trusting that in the silence that God is glorified and know that He has not forgotten me. I don't know what the silence means. But I will follow Him and trust that He will show me the way that is clear. Would I change my living situation? No. Not until God changes it. I love having a house full of people (although I don't have ANY privacy anymore, LOL!) and I love having people here that are blessed because I am sharing my space. I want them to stay as long as God continues to provide for them in this way. I consider it a joy and a blessing that they are here. But I do feel that my situation calls for me to step aside and allow God to work in His time. I want to step to the side and let the Lord show me my next step. Unfortunately, the Lord is asking me for something that I'm not very good at. . .

. . . silence. . . .

1 comment:

Erin Morgan said...

"And what was worse was it was MY fault." Really, it wasn't your fault that your perfect scenario was slipping away. The reason that things didn't work out between you and this man was not "your" fault. And you KNOW that.

i <3 you!! And know that God honors your faithfulness!